Tag Archives: storms
- “What comes out of your mouth reveals what truly lies in your heart.” Unknown
- “You are never wrong when you are polite to others.” Unknown
- “Practice, practice, practice is still the best path to achievement.” Unknown
A Story of Faith in the Storm: Victims maintain faith after Rice tornado destroys home. Some days I struggle feeling overwhelmed I’m sure you know what I mean. Just when I think I’ve come to the end of my rope I read a story like this and fell the urge to tie on 10 more knots because if this family can set this kind of example for the world so can I.
No more than half a dozen homes in this Navarro County community were damaged by the tornado that touched down early Sunday evening, and there were no serious injuries reported.
Tom High was just outside of his sister’s home when he felt the wind… heard the fury… then turned around and saw the funnel cloud. He and his sister, Sonia Butler, barely had enough time to do what they’d always been told: Get to the bathroom and cover up. Sonia’s husband, Raymond Butler, did not make it that far. But he somehow picked the only room in the house that was still intact for his shelter. “I just got down on my knees and said, ‘Lord be with us.’” The rest of Butler’s house; his two barns; his trucks; a trailer; and a giant pecan tree were all demolished by the twister.
But then, we heard him say this:”It bypassed my daughter’s grave,” Butler said. “It didn’t even touch my daughter’s grave.” Sharla Butler, who had been a track star at Lancaster High School, died last year at age 16 suffering a form of encephalitis. What’s more, both Raymond and Sonia Butler lost their mothers in the past few months. As if such a tremendous losses were not enough, now this. But it is not enough to knock down Raymond Butler. “I’m going to say this,” he said defiantly, standing in the midst of the debris of his home. “Satan, where’s your best punch at? Because it still hasn’t affected me yet.”
“When the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away,but the godly have a lasting foundation.” Proverbs 10:24-26 (KVUE)
It’s a RECORD BREAKER Coloring Contest: 2,162 total KSWP/KAVX Red Ribbon Coloring Contest Forms were turned in this year! We announce the winners tomorrow morning!
It’s Red Ribbon Week! Talk to Your Kids and ‘Blackout in a Can’: Alcoholic Energy Drinks Keep Wreaking Havoc (healthland.com)
You’ve probably seen it in gas stations or convenience stores. A tall aluminum can emblazoned with graffiti-inspired lettering, looks just like an energy drink — which it is. More specifically, it’s one of the beverage industry’s newest alcoholic energy drinks, and it’s recently been implicated in some incidents of drunkenness and brutal criminality that made the news. The effect of combining a stimulant (caffeine) with a depressant (alcohol)? You get drunker than you think you are. the public health expert Ken Briggs says, “You have a wide awake drunk who may not feel the warning signs of dangerous drinking such as the important subjective effects of tiredness and loss of coordination, which are good signals that it’s time to shut it down and stop drinking,”
That helps explain why the drinks seems to be causing so much trouble. This month, nine female Central Washington University (CWU) students were sent to the hospital from a house party after a night spent drinking Four Loko. Based on the women’s behavior before hospitalization, students, reporters and police speculated that the women had been given a date rape drug. But now, the police say overconsumption of Four Loko caused the women’s illness, leading them to have blood alcohol contents from .123 to .335 (for reference, the legal limit for driving is .08 and anything over .3 can be lethal).
Big Mortgage Mistakes: The phrase “liar loans” is something you want to avoid.
1. Adjustable Rate Mortgages – Adjustable rate mortgages seem like a homeowners dream. They allow you to buy a larger house than you can normally qualify for and have lower payments that you can afford. When housing prices drop, borrowers tend to find that they are unable to refinance their existing loans. This leaves many borrowers facing high mortgage payments.
2. No Down Payment During the subprime crisis, many companies were offering borrowers no down payment loans to borrowers. The purpose of a down payment is twofold. First, it increases the amount of equity that you have in your home and reduces the amount of money that you owe on a home. Second, a down payment makes sure that you have some skin in the game. Borrowers that place down a large down payment try everything possible to lose their investment. The other side of this – the more a borrower owes, the more likely they are to walk away.
3. Liar Loans – The phrase “liar loans” leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Liar loans were … [Read More at Investopedia]